Friday 16 February 2007

Am I doing it right?

Ok, I don't know whether my last 2 blog entries were actually relevant to the module as I've only just joined this module in the third week after switching due to a timetable clash. But what the hell, I enjoyed writing them so thats that!

I shall go back to basics and start by coming up with an idea for a class trip - hmmm....somewhere unsuitable, you say? How about a strip-club? To be fair, I don't think the male members of the class would complain and it would give us girls a chance to have a good old-fashioned bitch about the women degrading themselves (we love to bitch about things like that, in case you didn't know).

Is stripping prostitution? In my book, it is. They are performing sexual services for money, whether it be the actual act of sex itself or a lesser form. Guys who go to strip-clubs on a regular basis (I'm not talking about the stag night parties here) who are so desperate for female attention that they have to pay for it are, to be perfectly honest, complete losers. Don't they feel shame when they have to pay for services rendered? No, they don't - because all they're thinking about is the semi-naked woman dancing in front of them.

And as for the strippers themselves, well it's entirely their choice if they want to make a living from selling their bodies instead of educating themselves and getting a decent job like the rest of us are trying to do. But I wouldn't like to be in their shoes, thats all I can say. The idea of dancing around leering, perverted men doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Don't they have even an ounce of self-respect and dignity? Obviously not.

The majority of women I know react with disgust when anyone mentions female strippers - yet it's perfectly acceptable for women to hire a male stripper for a hen party or an occassion of that equivalent. "It's not the same if it's a male stripper", they would say. This is a classic example of double standards in British society; like if a man shags around, it's natural, it's 'expected' of him, he's "just being a jack-the-lad" - yet if a woman confessed to having the same number of sexual conquests she would be called all sorts of derogatory names, ie slut, ho, whore, slag etc. Now thats what winds me up. Not that I think women should be able to shag around without being called those names, because I don't think a woman should behave like that in the first place, but that men do exactly the same and are held in high esteem by their peers for it.

If a man and woman have identical lifestyles, both with loose sexual morals, is it really fair that the woman should be classed as 'being bad' when the man isn't? Hardly.

1 comment:

Phil Locke said...

Not that I'm attempting to justify the issue here, but I feel I can offer some clarification. Women are held in high esteem by men -at least in the sense that men are always chasing after them. When a man shags around, men think he must have something that women want, and congratulate him for it. However, when a woman does the same, she gets kicked off the pedestal because she's seen as an easy conquest. Men like to feel that they're somehow special, that a woman only wants them. It's a kick in the proverbials to find out that you're not the Casanova you think you are.

Maybe it's all down to insecurity.